Friday, December 5, 2014

chalk board and bead board

Guess what??? Two more things to post tonight...I didn't think we would get anymore done this week. Our 7 year old has been in doctor offices and the hospital the last 2 days. But I did get the chalk board paint on the 2 panels of my pantry door. I am going to love having my pantry to write on. I know, I sound like a kid, but oh well it is really country and cute to me.

Note, the blue you see is the painters tape and the chalkboard paint was wet in this picture so it will not have that shine to it once it dried. The only things missing now are the cabinet doors to be ready and the trim around that door. Then the kitchen will be complete!!!! You have no idea what a wonderful feeling to be able to say that. We have been living with it all in a mess for many months now, so to have it this close to complete is such a sweet feeling.

Brian surprised me yesterday while I was at the hospital with Brylee, and when we got home he had started on the walls in the hall way. We had purchased bead board to go below the chair rail months ago. When we got it home, we quickly found out that the existing chair rail and baseboard was not going to work with all the bead board that we had purchased. This is one of those times when I said before there will be things that you budget for and the budget just doesn't work. There are always going to be unexpected expenses no matter how hard to you try to stick to a budget. So, we had to decide if we were going to send it all back and just paint below the chair rail, or if we were going to spend the extra $300 or so to replace the chair rail and baseboards. Well, as you can see, we went with it. We had to cut some other things that we wanted, but got the walls the way we had planned.

We purchased the chair rail that has been notched out for the bead board and it was really narrow, so we purchased another decorative trim piece to place underneath it and it looks great to me. We wanted real wood, not the pressed wood stuff, so it is unfinished, but that is okay, we had to paint the other trim and the bead board anyway, because it just comes primed.

This is a picture of the wall with the old chair rail and base board removed.


Here you can see the bead board is up and the new chair rail has a notch on the back to fit over the bead board.


In these two pictures you can see the two separate pieces that we chose for the chair rail.


These are two pictures from the master bath where the bead board and chair rail are complete. This shows what the finished product looks like. I think the small rope trim adds a nice touch to it. I look forward to having the rest of the areas finished off with this. In the end it will be in the two upstairs bathrooms, hallway and the dining room. Stay tuned to my page to see more finished projects.

Below are links to the YouTube page for a video on how to install this product. 

http://youtu.be/qk_COOetMHk

http://youtu.be/QF5C1z6M2o0






2 comments:

  1. The chalkboard paint on the pantry door is a really cool idea! I honeastly didn't know you could do that with a paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chalkboard paint. My daughter put it on the doors in the kids rooms. I wonder if my landlord would let me do a door in my townhouse? I hope your child feels better soon. I have saved your link so I can follow your progress.

    ReplyDelete