Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Back tracking project

Okay guys...GOOD MORNING!

I am sitting here with my coffee beside me and finally a list of pictures from the projects we have done.

When I say something is a "small project", I am referring to the fact that it is less expensive or in a very small area.

The one I am posting about today was a small area, being it was our downstairs foyer and half bath. However, it took me 2 days to complete this.

I loath a popcorn ceiling!!! Obviously whoever thought these were a good idea never thought it through. These are just cobweb holders, lets be real here folks...They discolor over the years because you can not really ever clean them, and if there is a vent in your ceiling or a ceiling fan then over time it will become dirty around it from the build up of dust. These came to be because they are "cheap", there is no finishing required and a builder can just spray this over the drywall and it is done. That is why they exist.

Now because of this, after wetting and scrapping drywall that is not finished underneath it tears up the drywall in little places, which means it needs to be skim coated with the mud and sanded down to make it nice and smooth.

Then we did something that we have only ever done 1 time before...we hired someone to come fix the walls.

My husband knows a guy that does great work, so we hired him to come by and skim coat the walls for us. Then we did the painting. We don't usually pay people to do things we can do ourselves. My husband can do the skim coating but it would take us a month to get it all done. We don't either one of us do it enough to be good at it...and I can promise you it wouldn't look as good as it does now with a professional doing it, hahaha. 

The only thing you need to do this project is hot water in a spray bottle ( I used a pump sprayer this time), a large scrapper, plastic to drape your furniture, and usually the flooring, and most important thing...a MASK! (I learned this lesson the hard way when I scrapped the ceiling the year prior in the den without one.)  For us, we just had concrete flooring at the time down there, so I didn't worry about covering it. I just swept and used the shop vac to get it up.

This project somewhat became a family affair, my girls would come scrape a little to give my arms a break, and the little one helped by cleaning the floors for me as we went. My husband painted it when all was done.

I will post the pictures of it from beginning to end below. In the last two photos, you will notice there is flooring in the area. That post is coming, these were the photos I have of it all pretty though 😁













No comments:

Post a Comment